wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

With broadband connections up by 4%, India crosses 800 million internet subscribers

Of the 778 million broadband connections, most of them are in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and UP (East).

Picture of broadband cables

India had 778.14 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of March 2021, an increase of 4% over a three-month period, according to data published by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). Narrowband connections declined by 1% this quarter from 47.7 million connections reported in December 2020. There are still 47.2 million narrowband connections in the country.

TRAI defines Internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds more than 512 kbps are broadband. It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2 Mbps.

The total of 825.3 million Internet connections includes both wired (broadband: 22.75 million; narrowband: 3.25 million) and wireless connections (broadband: 755.35 million; narrowband: 43.96 million). A majority of these Internet connections are on mobile.

Between January and March 2021, total broadband connections increased by 5.2% in rural areas and by 3.4% in urban areas. Broadband forms a 94% share of the total connections while narrowband forms the remaining 6% of total connections.

Key observations

1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in an urban area with 41.09 million, followed by Maharashtra with 40.38 million, and Tamil Nadu with 39.78 million connections.

2. Bihar had the highest number of broadband connections in a rural area with 31.65 million, followed by Uttar Pradesh (East) with 30.3 million connections, and Maharashtra with 27.2 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

3. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 67.57 million connections. Andhra Pradesh is in the second spot with 60.86 million connections, followed by UP (East) with 56.86 million connections.

4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and the northeast region including Assam are still very low with a total of just 38.26 million connections.

5. UP (East) added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 2.3 million connections between January and March 2021. In urban areas, Tamil Nadu topped the list by adding 1.7 million connections during the same time period.

6. Overall, UP (East) added the most connections during the three-month period with 3.1 million connections.

Also Read:

Have something to add? Post your comment and gift someone a MediaNama subscription.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.


The accession to the Convention brings many advantages, but it could complicate the Brazilian stance at the BRICS and UN levels.


In light of the state's emerging digital healthcare apparatus, how does Clause 12 alter the consent and purpose limitation model?


The collective implication of leaving out ‘proportionality’ from Clause 12 is to provide very wide discretionary powers to the state.


The latest draft is also problematic for companies or service providers that have nothing to with children's data.

You May Also Like


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ