wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Government approves more ‘green zones’ for drones to fly over

drone, drone pilot, drone school

You are reading it here first: Twenty six more green zones have been approved for compliant drones to fly in India, bringing the total to thirty-two green zones, as per an order by the Civil Aviation Ministry. Green zones are essentially uncontrolled airspaces where an Air Traffic Control (ATC) service is not necessary. Drones compliant with the “no permission, no takeoff” (NPNT) protocol will be able to fly in these airspaces. In April, the Ministry had approved six such airspaces.

The latest airspaces to get approval are in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Uttar Pradesh. The order, signed by Amber Dubey who is joint secretary at the Civil Aviation Ministry, said that the green zones will be enabled on the Digital Sky platform soon.

“The concerned State Governments and Local Administrations are requested to facilitate operations of NPNT-compliant drones in the said sites,” the order said.

NPNT is conceptually an automated green signal without which drones aren’t authorised to fly. Digital Sky is the platform which is currently being developed to handle these automatic flight authorisations. However, the portal has seen several delays so far.

Digital Sky has seen several delays

The Digital Sky platform, originally envisioned in 2018, is central to India’s drone regulations, but is still not ready to support authorisations for NPNT compliant drones. The previous deadline for its roll out was January 26, 2021 which the government missed, and it is currently not clear when the platform will eventually be fully functional, and what is causing the delays. Before that, the government had missed the deadline of October 2, 2020.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

In August 2020, the Ministry had said that nearly 70% of India’s airspace has been greenlit for compliant drones to fly in. This included both green zones and yellow zones (controlled airspace). The remaining 30% of the airspace is demarcated as a red zone, which is considered a restricted airspace due to its sensitivity. In this zone, drones can fly but with special permission from security agencies.

As per data maintained by the Digital Sky platform, a total of 41 drones have been granted a Unique Identification Number (UIN), which is akin to a license plate for NPNT compliant drones.

Also read:

MediaNama has prepared an exhaustive guide to the drone industry in India, encompassing regulations, use cases, concerns around privacy and surveillance, and the way forward for the industry. The guide is available here

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.


The accession to the Convention brings many advantages, but it could complicate the Brazilian stance at the BRICS and UN levels.


In light of the state's emerging digital healthcare apparatus, how does Clause 12 alter the consent and purpose limitation model?


The collective implication of leaving out ‘proportionality’ from Clause 12 is to provide very wide discretionary powers to the state.


The latest draft is also problematic for companies or service providers that have nothing to with children's data.

You May Also Like


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ