wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Of 625.4 million broadband connections in India, most are in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu

India had 625.42 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of September 2019, an increase of 5% over a three-month period, according to data published by the telecom regulator TRAI. Narrowband connections declined by 12% this quarter from 70.7 million connections as of June 2019. There are still 62.2 million narrowband connections in the country.

TRAI defines internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds more than 512 kbps are broadband. It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2 Mbps.

The total of 687.6 million Internet connections including both wireline (broadband: 19.01 million; narrowband: 3.25 million) and wireless connections (broadband: 606.4 million; narrowband: 58.96 million). A majority of these internet connections are on mobile.

Between July and September 2019, total broadband connections increased by 7% in rural areas and by 4.3% in urban areas. Broadband connections form a majority 91% share, while narrowband connections form the remaining 9% connections.

Some observations

All figures in millions

  1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in an urban area with 35.18 million, followed by Maharashtra with 32.82 million, and Tamil Nadu with 32.44 million connections.
  2. Bihar had the highest number of broadband connections in a rural area with 21.68 million, followed by Uttar Pradesh (East) with 20.14 million connections, and Maharashtra with 19.65 million connections.
  3. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 52.47 million connections. Andhra Pradesh is in the second spot with 49.22 million connections, followed by Tamil Nadu with 44.38 million connections.
  4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the north-east including Assam are still very low with a total of just 28.46 million connections.

  1. Karnataka added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 2.14 million connections between July and September 2019. In urban areas, UP (East) topped the list again by adding 2.42 million connections during the same time period.
  2. Overall, Maharashtra added the most connections during the three-month period with 3.13 million connections.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.


The accession to the Convention brings many advantages, but it could complicate the Brazilian stance at the BRICS and UN levels.


In light of the state's emerging digital healthcare apparatus, how does Clause 12 alter the consent and purpose limitation model?


The collective implication of leaving out ‘proportionality’ from Clause 12 is to provide very wide discretionary powers to the state.


The latest draft is also problematic for companies or service providers that have nothing to with children's data.

You May Also Like


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ