wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

594.6 million broadband connections in India; most in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India

India had 594.6 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of June 2019, an increase of 6% over a three-month period starting March 2019, according to data published by the telecom regulator TRAI. There are still 70.72 million narrowband connections in the country, a number which has been on the decline, possibly as more people switch from narrowband to broadband.

TRAI defines Internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds faster than 512 kbps are broadband. It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2 Mbps.

Narrowband connections declined by 3.6% this quarter from 73.4 million connections as of March 2019.

The total of 665.3 million Internet connections including both wireline (broadband: 18.4 million and narrowband: 3.2 million) and wireless connections (broadband: 576.2 million and narrowband: 67.5 million). A majority of these internet connections are on mobile.

Between April and June 2019, total broadband connections by 7% in rural areas and by 5% in urban areas. Broadband connections form a majority 89% share, while narrowband connections form the remaining 11% connections.

Some observations

1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in an urban area with 33.75 million, followed by Tamil Nadu with 32.24 million, and Maharashtra with 31.25 million connections.

2. Bihar had the highest number of broadband connections in a rural area with 20 million, followed by Uttar Pradesh (East) with 19.6 million connections, and Andhra Pradesh with 18.4 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

3. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 49.34 million connections. Andhra Pradesh is at the second spot with 46.91 million connections, followed by Tamil Nadu with 42.57 million connections.

4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the north-east including Assam are still very low with a total of just 28.4 million connection.

5. UP (East) added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 1.7 million connections between April and June 2019. In urban areas, Andhra Pradesh topped the list again by adding 1.6 million connections during the same time period.

6. Overall, UP (East) added the most connections during the three-month period with 2.96 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.


The accession to the Convention brings many advantages, but it could complicate the Brazilian stance at the BRICS and UN levels.


In light of the state's emerging digital healthcare apparatus, how does Clause 12 alter the consent and purpose limitation model?


The collective implication of leaving out ‘proportionality’ from Clause 12 is to provide very wide discretionary powers to the state.


The latest draft is also problematic for companies or service providers that have nothing to with children's data.

You May Also Like


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ